It was a Saturday, I had graduated college a few months earlier and found a yoga studio that spoke to me in many ways. Core Power Yoga in Park Ridge had become a second home to me. I was taking my favorite Saturday morning double with my soon to me mentor and loving life, my body, and exactly where I was…but I knew that on Monday I would head back to my retail job, my yucky reality. And then I heard it… “we have teacher training starting at the studio, I will be a big part of the training, let me know after class if you have any questions”. Thoughts started to fill my mind; I just started this, am I good enough? I’m so young!, Oh god…I could never do what she just did in those classes, holy crap…I have no money, will I ever be as smart as the other teachers? Oh cheese and rice…it would be so freaking amazing though!
A quick phone call to mom in the locker room and I made the leap, “I would like to sign up for the Power Yoga Teacher Training please, here’s my card” I had no idea what was in store for me, I did not ask questions and although I had never taken a C1, Hot Power Fusion and Hot Yoga was my jam, Power Yoga just seemed like the right choice, it all seemed like the right choice.
These are a few myths that can get thrown around in your own head when you hear about a 200-hour yoga teacher training and it slightly peaks your interest:
- You have to be an advanced yoga practitioner to take a training: NOPE. Do you have to be an advanced chef to enter culinary school? This is your time to grow, to highlight your practice and to meet a group of people who share the same hopes and interests. During your training you will learn about so many different aspects of yoga, from basic postures, to advanced cues, to anatomy and chakras. You will most defiantly step out of your comfort zone and will love/want to pee your pants every second of it.
- You MUST teach after teacher training: MUST you do anything in life? Ok you must drink water, and eat food, but besides the necessities of living… The thing is that even if you are not in front of a classroom teaching students, you are as much of a teacher, even before training, as that person teaching you. After training you will become closer to your practice, you will find new things about yourself, but if physically teaching isn’t your jam, than you can continue to practice and teach silently in your own way!
- Too expensive!: Okay, this is not a myth, there is not doubt that a 200 hour teacher training is expensive, just like getting your masters is expensive (I’m not comparing the two, but you get it). But, if this is what is going to fill your cup and make your life that much brighter, there is a way to make it happen.
This also might come down to feeling guilty about doing something for yourself, again, if this is something that is going to make your life fuller, your family, your friends, will be by your side every step of the way.
- I’m too young, I’m too old: NOPE. You are on your mat aren’t you? There is no age in yoga. It is the right time when you say it is. You have that power as a human at any age.
This also goes out to those who might think, “I don’t look like a yoga teacher” What does a yoga teacher look like? We come in all shapes, colors and sizes. Yoga truly is for everyone.
- After one Teacher Training you know it all! YAY!: NOPE. You will continue to learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, and learn, oh and when you think you are down learning, you will continue to learn, and learn some more. Learn is beginning to sound like a really strange word.
If you ask someone who has been through a yoga teacher training…they might also say to you, “It was life changing” and I would say the exact same thing, but we each say it for so many different reasons. #yogalove
Want to get started using Essential Oils for yourself and save 24% every time you order? CLICK HERE to check out the Young Living Essential Oils Starter Kit and our FREE guide “6 Ways to Start Using Essential Oils”! We’ll be in touch within 24 hours… or if you want your Starter Kit right now, CLICK HERE